The Last tram ran along Glasgow's
High Street just before midnight on the 19th February 1949. The
following morning Glasgow's first trolleybuses were introduced
on service 102, replacing the trams which ran from Polmadie to
Riddrie. At first they were based at Govan, Denniestoun and Larkfield
Garages, Operations from Larkfield transfered to Hampden garage
on the 17th December 1950. Denniestoun Garage closed on 5th November
1960 and Govan Closed to the Trolleybus on the 1st October 1966
and the final service from Hampdon was taken off the road on the
27th May 1967.
The introduction of trolleybuses eased traffic congestion and High Street
was one of the first thoroughfares to benefit from the lifting of tram tracks.
At its peak, the city's trolleybus system had 195 vehicles, the highest of
any city outside London. Despite being nicknamed "silent death" by
Glasgwegians more accustomed to the clanking of trams, trolleybuses had a
good safety record.
Sadly, despite their many advantages, trolleybuses failed to inspire the
sort of affection Glaswegians felt for their trams. Very few tears were shed
when the last vehicle on service 105 made its final run from Queen's Cross
to Clarkston on the 27th May 1967.