Horse Banner  
Banner

 

TRAMWAY ROLLING STOCK

EXPLANATORY  TERMS

BTH: British Thomson-Houston Co.
LCC:
London County Council
EE: English Electric Co. 
M & G: Mountain and Gibson
EMB: Electro-Mechanical Brake Co.
M&T: Maley and Taunton
GCT: Glasgow Corporation Transport (or Tramways) 
MV: Metropolitan Vickers                                      
PW: Permanent Way
GEC: General Electric Co.
West: Westinghouse
HN: Hurst, Nelson and Co.

TYPE 1.  HORSE CARS

*280-664: 1894-1898

BUILDERS: Brush, Loughborough; Brown, Marshalls & Co., Birming­ham; North Metropolitan Tramways Co.; Midland Railway Carriage & Wagon Co.; Glasgow Corporation Tramways.

The prototype car was selected from four submitted by the outside contractors for the Corporation's examination. It was built at the Falcon Engineering Works, Loughborough.

BODY: Double deck, open top, non-vestibuled type with 6-window saloon.

543 is preserved, slightly altered after fire damage, 1949. c. 1900-1902, some were converted to salt trailers, some to electric traction and the rest scrapped.

TRUCK: 4-wheel, 5' 3" wb.

*These numbers continue the series started by the Glasgow Tramway and Omnibus Company, 1-279, although none of the Company's cars was taken over by the Corporation.

TYPE 2.  CONVERTED HORSE CARS

1-120: 1900-1901

BUILDER: Glasgow Corporation Tramways. These were conversions to electric traction of 120 of the original Corporation horse cars.

BODY: Basically unaltered, though platforms lengthened. 11 had full length canopy and side boards. 4 had short canopy and platforms.

TRUCK: Brill 21E, 4-wheel, 6' wb. One car had Bury 21EM.

MOTORS: West., 2x 30 h.p.

EQUIPMENT: West, controllers, hand and magnetic brakes. 92 was cut down to single deck, 1906, fitted reversed dashes, bow collector. Used as a one-man car on Finnieston Street route (only bow collection route until experimental equipment of service 12, 1927). Vestibuled, 1912. Transferred to work Paisley-Abbotsinch route, 1930-1933. Scrapped 1938. 120 converted to 'work car' No. 2, c. 1905. 118 sold to Luton, 1923, where cut down to single deck and renumbered 13. Scrapped 1932. Four sold to Dumbarton, 1916. Rest scrapped by 1921.

TYPE 3.  'ROOM AND KITCHEN' CARS

665-685: 1898

BUILDER: Glasgow Corporation Tramways.

body: Single deck, non-vestibuled with two 3-window saloons, separated by a centre loading platform, and external monitor roof. One saloon (non-smoking) had glass windows and longitudinal seating, the other (smoking) was open with waterproof blinds and transverse seats. 665 differed in body design.

BOGIES: GCT equal wheel (30" diam.).

MOTOR: West. 39, 2x35 h.p.

EQIPMENT: West, controllers, hand and magnetic brakes. Life­guards were of wireplough pattern. These were the original cars used on the experimental Mitchell Street Springburn electrified route. They were later used on the London Road route, when roller blind indicators were provided. One remains (672), ('work' car No. 3) and is being restored to original condition by G.C.T.

TYPE 4.  STANDARD ROUND DASH CARS (Lower Deck Monitor Roof)

686- 687: 1898
688- 711: 1899
664-510: 1901-1902
509-440: 1902
712-1000: 1900 
337: 1906

BUILDER: Glasgow Corporation Tramways. 901-980 were built by the Gloucester Carriage and Wagon Co.

BODY: Pre-1904: Double-deck, open top, non-vestibuled type, short canopy with round end dashes five-window saloon with internal monitor roofing having a perforated ventilator strip to exterior except on 509-440 (also for a time, 729) which had a louvre ventilator strip which was later replaced by perforated strip ventilator on all cars. 444 retained the louvres till c.1948.

All were top-covered, commencing 1904, and fitted with lower deck vestibules (987 not Vestibuled). On modernisation 1928-1930, top deck vestibules, upholstered seats (38/21) and top deck heating were fitted. 729 was original Motor School Car and, as such, carried one standard G.C.T, lifeguard and one wireplough guard. 770 originally had reversed stairs and full length canopy. 982 latterly had external rhone pipe on one end. 643 rebodied 1945 to old pattern but with dash tail-lights. 337 had opening roof originally carried by 438 and height of top deck 3" less than standard. 461, 518, 526, 528, 569, 570, 761 and 995 again fitted with longitudinal seats (24) lower saloon in 1939-1945 war. 821, 836, 923, 926, 971, 975 cut down to single deck for use on Clydebank/Duntocher service c. 1939. 450, 463-5, 470, 472, 473, 484, 486, 487, 519, 529, 582, 591, 636, 742, 878 fitted with 'unobtrusive' top covers 1902-1904 and replaced with standard top covers and vestibules 1923-1924. 452, 454, 468, 479, 480, 483, 491, 537, 553, 560, 572, 578 remained open top till 1923-1924. 578 had white lower deck ceiling (of material similar to Maximum Traction cars). The following were scrapped c. 1939: 738, 745, 762, 783,785, 894, 902, 912, 913, 924, 925, 932, 933, 949, 952, 953, 957, 966, 971, 972, 978, 979. Also the following due to accidents 749 (1939), 750 (1940), 869 (1939), 887 (1939), 976 (1941), 987 (1916). 987 rebodied Class 6.

TRUCK: Brill 21E 4-wheel. (a) 6' wheelbase, (b) 7' wheelbase, (c) 1928-1930 8' wheelbase with rollerbearing (SKF or Hoffmann) axle boxes. Wheel diameter reduced from 32" to 27". 687 originally had Peckham Cantilever truck. 687, 699, 704, 710, 712, 716, 719, 720, 730, 731, 736,738, 744, 746, 754,762, 763, 765, 774, 778, 781, 783, 785, 788, 792, 793, 795, 802, 805, 815, 819, 821, 826, 828, 835, 836, 844, 865, 867, 878, 879, 891, 896, 902, 905, 907, 949, 951, 976, 978, 980 retained 7' wheelbase truck on modern­isation. 826, 891, 904, 914, 917, 927, 929, 939, 942, 945 received 8' trucks 1947-1951. 922 had HN Brill 7' truck instead of (b). 867 had (b) with roller bearing axle boxes. 702, 713, 750, 751, 779, 790, 797, 881, 889 had EMB Flexible axle trucks instead of (c). 713 soon received (c) but others remained till 1956-1957. 713 had 8' truck with one track brake shoe per side only, for a time after removal of EMB Flexible axle truck.

MOTORS: (a) West. 2x30 h.p.; (6) c. 1915 BTH or EE 2x40 h.p.; (c) 1928-1930 MV, GEC, or EE 2x60 h.p. Some cars (see Equipment) were fitted for Regenerative braking in 1930s and had BTH 101J motors. Normal motors fitted on removal of 'Regen' equipment.

EQUIPMENT: (a) BTH or West. Controllers, hand and single-shoe-per-side magnetic brakes; (b) Conversion to MV (OK) or EE (CDB2 or KC1) Controllers. Air-wheel and track brakes added with magnetic brake double-shoe-per-side, 1928-1930; (c) EMB interlock added to controls. Cars retaining 7' wheelbase truck after modernisation also retained single magnetic shoe in conjunction with West.-Newell track/wheel brake which was standard GCT brake prior to 1930 modernisation. 698 had M & T field control 1935-1942. Regenerative cars, as follows, had MV OK 45B Controllers:—688, 689, 690, 692, 693, 694, 703, 706, 714, 715, 722, 724, 734, 735, 741, 747, 757, 775, 777, 787, 804, 807, 809, 811, 814, 816, 817, 823, 829, 830, 841, 845, 859, 860, 863, 871, 873, 875, 877.

488, 585, 779, 812 are retained for Museum purposes.

TYPE 5.  STANDARD ROUND DASH CARS (Lower Deck Flat Roof).

439-338:1904
336-287:1908-1910

BUILDERS: Glasgow Corporation Tramways.

BODY: Double deck open balcony, short canopies type, all later Vestibuled on lower deck and in 1928-1930 modernised with top deck vestibules and upholstered seating. 439 had reversed stairs originally and height of lower saloon 3" less than normal, ten opening glass fan­lights on lower deck. 438 had opening roof later transferred to 337 and replaced by normal roof, and height of lower saloon was 3" less than normal, seven opening glass fanlights on lower deck. 336-317 were 3" wider in body and were precursors of hex-dash cars. 314-311, 306-303, 296, 294, 287 were built as open top cars. 334, 409 replaced by hex-dash type following accidents during 1940s. 298 again fitted with longitudinal seats (24) in lower saloon in 1939-1945 war. 346 (1933), 396 (1930), 424 (1939) withdrawn following accidents.

TRUCK: As on Type 4. 438, 335-326, 324-319 had M & G radial trucks prior to (b). 337, 293, 290, 287 and some cars in series 437-338 originally had Bury 21EM Trucks. 325 had Brush Flexible Truck instead of (a). 318, 317 had Peckham Pendulum Trucks instead of (a). All cars received 8' trucks. 413 had EMB Flexible axle truck c.1936. 308, 335, 336, 353, 354 had 8' truck with one track-brake shoe per side only.

MOTORS: As on Type 4. 305 was Regenerative car in 1930s.

EQUIPMENT: As on Type 4.

TYPE 6.  STANDARD HEX DASH CARS

286-137: 1910-1915
136-125: 1915
124-93: 1919-1923
91-1, 987: 1919-1923
665-685: 1923-1924
1039-1040: 1923-1924
1050-1051, 1088: 1923-1924

BUILDER: Glasgow Corporation Tramways.

BODY: Similar to 'round dash' cars 336-317, but with angled hexagonal ('hex') dashes and lower deck vestibules.
137 originally a rear-entrance/front-exit car fitted with swivel-chair seats in the upper saloon but later converted to normal pattern, was used on a Royal visit, as was 38. Latter was driven by the Duke of York (late King George VI) in 1924 when he opened Parkhead depot—a silver controller handle was provided. 16 had top deck reduced in height by 3". 142 and 15 were lengthened to bogie cars (see Truck). 91 had half bulk­heads upstairs—full length upper saloon as on 'Kilmarnock Bogie' cars. Many cars fitted with hand or power-operated windscreen wipers 1955. Rebodied cars 27, 143, 263, 679 also 334 and 409 flush rocker panel and dash tail-lights. (Flush rocker panel on 27 removed 1958). All modernised, became totally enclosed and Vestibuled 1928-1930. 91, 150, 180, 181 again fitted with longitudinal seats (24) in lower saloon in 1939-1945 war. The following were scrapped early, because of accidents: 6 (1941 war damage), 151 (1940).

TRUCK: Brill 21E, 4-wheel. (a) 7' wb. (b) 1928-1930, 8' wb. with roller bearing axleboxes (SKF or Hoffman) and wheel diameter reduced to 27". 665 had Peckham P22 pendulum truck instead of (a). 262 had M & G Warner non-parallel axle truck instead of (a). 191 had Bury 21EM 7' truck instead of (a). 158 had Brush-Peckham track, 1927, prior to (b). 142 had HN LCC-type maximum traction bogies, 1927, instead of (b), also lengthened lower saloon and balconies. 19 had Kilmarnock Eng. Co. 10' radial truck, 1927, prior to (b). 18 had swing axleboxes, 1926. 17 had Brill 'safety' truck prior to (b). 16 had EMB-Maley pivotal axle truck, 10' wb., 1926 then fitted EMB flexible axle truck 8' 6" wb. ex-750, 1940 prior to (b), 1956. 15 had Brill 39E1 bogies, 4' 10" wb., withdrawn 1939. 63 cars had 8' truck with one-track-brake shoe per side only.

MOTORS: (a) 286-137, 136-125: MV or BTH, 2x 30 h.p. 124-93: BTH, 2x40 h.p. 91-1, 987: BTH or EE, 2x40 h.p. 1039-1040, 1050-1051, 1088: EE, 2x40 h.p. 665-685: EE, 2x40 h.p. (b) 1928-1930, MV, GEC or EE, 2x60 h.p. 158: 2x45 h.p., MV 101 DR, 1927. 148, 144: 2x40 h.p., 1915. 103: MV 101DR, 2x45 h.p., 1927, later 2x60 h.p. 18: West, 220, 2x30 h.p., 1926, later 2x60 h.p. 17: MV, 2x40 h.p., 1926, later 2x60 h.p. 16: BTH 502C, 2x40 h.p., 1926, later 2x60 h.p. 15: MV 101DR, 2x45 h.p., 1926.

EQUIPMENT: (a) MV (type OK) controllers, hand and single-shoe-per-side magnetic brakes, (b) Air wheel and track brakes, twin-magnetic-shoe-per-side and EMB interlock added, 1928-1930. EE (types CDB2 or KC1) controllers replaced the MV types c. 1956. 137 had Ackley adjustable brake for a time. 49 and 155 had field shunt controllers. 45, 46 and 146 were fitted with Fischer bow collectors for tests on Mount Florida-Paisley Road Toll experimental section, 1927. This form of over­head collection replaced the trolley type in 1931-1932. 2, 123 carried pantographs for a time, 1931.

22 and 1088 are retained for Museum purposes.

TYPE 7.  BOGIE SINGLE DECK CAR.

1089: 1926

BUILER: Glasgow Corporation Tramways.

BODY: Single deck, totally enclosed type with 'hex' dashes. Originally an either-side rear-entrance/front-exit car, fitted 6 transverse double seats and American wire-scoop lifeguard. Later converted to standard loading arrangement and lifeguard fitment. Further altered to 'crush-loader' and fitted with subway-type lamp globes, 1951.

BOGIES: Brill 77E1, 5' 4" wb., equal wheel.

MOTORS: BTH 264, 4x25 h.p. Originally fitted with high-speed gearing, later reduced.

EQUIPMENT: GEC (type KHS) controller, G. D. Peters delayed action, hand and magnetic brakes. Known as 'Bailie Burtt's car'. Originally intended for 'interurban' service to Airdrie, it worked Paisley-Abbotsinch 1932, then Clydebank-Duntocher and Partick-Dalmuir shipyard specials latterly.

TYPE 8.  MAXIMUM TRACTION BOGIE CARS (Kilmarnock Bogies)

1090-1140: 1927-1928

BUILDERS: Glasgow Corporation Tramways 1090. Hurst Nelson, Motherwell 1091-1120. R. Y. Pickering, Wishaw 1121-1130. Brush, Loughborough 1131-1140.

BODY: Double deck, totally enclosed type with 'hex' ends. 4-window saloon with 4 opening glass fanlights. Fitted upholstered seats (40/28). Half bulkheads are fitted upstairs giving full-length saloon. White lower deck roofs. 1100 has streamlined ends with coloured route lights fitted 1941 and had stairs reversed 1941-1943. Transverse seats in lower saloon altered to longitudinal except in 1090 and 1131.

BOGIES: Kilmarnock Eng. Co. maximum traction, 4' 2" wb. 1090 had HN LCC-type maximum traction bogies originally. 1100 had bogies reversed for a time, c.1938.

MOTOR: MV, GEC or EE, 2x 60 h.p.

EQUIPMENT: MV (type OK) or EE (types CDB2 or KC1) controllers, hand, air wheel and track brakes. EMB interlock and magnetic brake. 1100 fitted remote control, 1941.

1115 is retained for Museum purposes.

TYPE 9.  CORONATION CARS—MARK I.

1141-1148: 1937
1149-1239: 1938
1240-1273: 1939
1274-1291: 1940
1292: 1941
1393-1398: 1954
 
BUILDER: Glasgow Corporation Transport.

BODY: Double deck, totally enclosed streamlined type with 4-window saloon, open to platforms down stairs, full length upstairs. Fitted leather upholstered seats (38/26), modern lighting and heating, folding platform doors and separate motorman's cabs with external door. 1141-1142 were the prototype cars and differed from the rest in various ways. Air con­ditioning and internal speaker systems were fitted originally. 1141 was rebuilt after fire damage, 1949. 1142 fitted with resilient wheels, 1947, and can be distinguished by 5-window saloon. 1255 and 1279 rebodied after fires. 1255, 1279, 1393-1398 have no external motorman's door. 1161, 1167 fitted air hooters. Original end design had hooded vents above motor-man's cab and half-drop windscreen. Later vent hood was slotted. Now design altered to 'flush' front with one-piece windscreen. Small hinged window fitted to end window upstairs to facilitate bow changeover. 'Coronation Mk. II' lighting fitted to most cars of this class from about 1956.

BOGIES: EMB lightweight, 4' 6" wb., equal wheel. 1142 had M & T swing link, 4' 3" wb., equal wheel.

MOTORS: 1141-1292: BTH 109, 4x 35 h.p. 1393-1398: GEC WT184a, 4x35 h.p.

EQUIPMENT: 1141-1292 had BTH remote control, hand, air wheel and track brakes, electro-magnetic and GCT automatic emergency brake. 1393-1398 had MV electro-pneumatic control and M & T air brakes, hand and magnetic brakes, and GCT automatic emergency brake, 1250 had longitudinal seat (3 places) at head of stairs, 1256 had accelerator. 1393-1398 had bogies and motors purchased from Liverpool, ex-'Green Goddess' cars.

Some cars of this class are retained for Museum purposes (inc. 1269).

TYPE 10.  LIGHTWEIGHT 4-WHEEL CARS

1001-1004: 1940
6: 1943

BUILDER: Glasgow Corporation Transport.

BODY: Double deck, totally enclosed streamlined type with 4-window saloon open to platforms downstairs and full length upstairs. Fitted leather upholstered seats (36/24—1001-1002 originally had 38 upstairs), separate motorman's cabs and sliding platform doors with step lights. 1003 had 'Standard' seating and no roof lights.

TRUCK: 4-wheel 1001-1002: M & T, 8' 6". 1003-1004: EMB flexible axle, 8' 6". 6: Brill 21E, 8' wb.

MOTORS: 1001, 6: MV 101, 2x40 h.p. 1002: Crompton Parkinson, 2 X 70 h.p. 1003-1004: GEC, 2 x 60 h.p.

EQUIPMENT: 1001,1003, 6: MV (type OK) controllers. 1002: Cromp­ton Parkinson remote control. 1004: GEC remote control. All had hand, air wheel and track brakes and magnetic brake. 1001 had M & T braking system. 1002 had automatic accelerator.

TYPE 11.  UNIDIRECTIONAL DOUBLE DECK CAR.

1005: 1947

BUILDER: Glasgow Corporation Transport.

BODY: Double deck, totally enclosed streamlined type with 4-window saloon open to platforms downstairs, full length upstairs. Originally single-ended car with front entrance/rear exit on near-side only. Loading arrangement altered later to front exit/rear entrance. Fitted leather upholstered seats (36/36), modern fluorescent lighting, folding platform doors—power operated under motorman's control at front—and separate motorman's cab. Painted dark, medium and light blue. Standard orange, green and cream livery adopted 1953, when 'Coronation Mk. II lighting' fitted. Car converted to double-ended type with normal platforms, 1956. Fitted reversible seats (40/30), Now resembles 'Coronation Mk. IF design of which it was the precursor.

BOGIES: M & T, inside bearing type HS44, 5' wb., equal wheel.

MOTORS: Crompton Parkinson, 4x45 h.p.

EQUIPMENT: Crompton Parkinson 'Vambac' remote control, hand, air and magnetic brakes. Later, controls modified by GCT and when converted to double-ended type, EMB remote controls fitted at No. 2 end.

TYPE 12.  CORONATION CARS—MARK II ('Cunarders').

1293-1297: 1948      
1298-1316: 1949
1317-1369: 1950
1370-1391: 1951
1392: 1952

BUILDER: Glasgow Corporation Transport.

BODY: Double deck, totally enclosed streamlined type with 4-window saloon open to platforms downstairs and full length upstairs. Fitted leather upholstered seats (40/30—some 40/26), modern lighting, folding platform doors and separate motorman's cabs.

BOGIES: M & T, inside bearing type HS44, 5' wb., equal wheel.

motors: MV 109, 4x36 h.p.

EQUIPMENT: MV electro-pneumatic controls with M & T air brakes, hand and magnetic brakes. 1306, when new, had power operated doors. 1385 had no roof lights. A few others were originally similar.

1392 is retained for Museum purposes.

TYPE 13.  EX-LIVERPOOL CARS.

1006-1016, 1018-1030: 1953-1954
1031-1038, 1041-1049,1052-1056: 1954-1955

BUILDER: Liverpool Corporation Transport, 1936-1937.

BODY: Double deck, totally enclosed streamlined type with 4-window saloon open to platforms downstairs and full length upstairs. Fitted leather upholstered seats (44/34) and folding platform doors. On delivery, were modified for use on GCT system, as undernoted.

Fenders removed, GCT-type coupler pockets fitted, altered windows and 'Coronation Mk. II' lighting provided. Single-piece flush windscreens of smaller size were also fitted. Some cars later received seats from scrapped Glasgow Standard cars. Had limited route availability due to greater width than Glasgow cars.

BOGIES: 1006-1016, 1018-1030: M & T swing link, 4'3" wb. 1031-1036, 1038, 1042-1043, 1048-1049, 1052-1054, 1056: EMB lightweight, 4' 6" wb. 1037, 1041, 1044-1047, 1055: EMB heavyweight ('Jo'burg').

MOTORS: GEC, WT184a, 4x35 h.p.

EQUIPMENT: MV remote control, hand, air and magnetic brakes.

1055 is retained (as Liverpool 869) for Museum purposes.

TYPE 14.  SERVICE VEHICLES ('WORK CARS') SINGLE-DECK.

No. 1: Mains Dept., Cable-laying car. Built: GCT 1905. Brill truck.

No. 2: P.W. Dept., Water Car. Scrapped (c. 1924?). Mains Dept. Tool car. Renumbered from No. 20 (c. 1924?).

No. 3: Mains Dept., Testing Car. 1898 bogie single-deck car 672 con­verted GCT 1905.

Nos. 3-10: P.W. Dept., Sand and Sett Cars. 1898 bogie single-deck cars rebuilt GCT 1905. No. 6 outlived the others by many years.

Nos. 11-19: P.W. Dept., Water cars. Built GCT 1905-1907. Incorpor­ate parts of scrapped 1898 bogie single-deck cars. Brill trucks, but one had a Peckham cantilever and c. 1928 some had ex-Paisley Brush trucks. No. 14 had 8' wb. roller-bearing truck and received 'regen' motors and controllers, 1951, short truck restored later. No. 15 had a Duntocher-type bow collector. Nos. 11-13 believed withdrawn by 1939. No. 17 scrapped early. No. 18 was Weed-killer.

No. 20: Mains Dept., Tool car. Electrified horse-car 120, rebuilt GCT 1905. Brill truck. Renumbered as No. 2 (c. 1924?). Mains Dept., Tool car. Built GCT c. 1924. HN-Brill truck.

No. 21: P.W. Dept., Welder car. 1898 bogie single-deck car, constructed 1905 using parts of body of Brill 21E truck, 4-wheel.

No. 22: P.W. Dept., Tool car. Electrified horse-car, rebuilt GCT, c. 1919. Scrapped. P.W. Dept., Tool car. Standard wide body round dash. Received 'regen' motors and controllers, 1954.

No. 23: P.W. Dept., Tool car. Electrified horse-car, rebuilt GCT, c. 1919. Scrapped. P.W. Dept., Tool car. Standard wide body round dash. No. 23A, 1952. Scrapped 1956. P.W. Dept., Tool Car. 'Standard' car 814, rebuilt GCT 1952. Numbered No. 23B till 1956, now No. 23.

No. 24: Overhead Inspection car. Ex-Airdrie 4, rebuilt GCT, c. 1924. Had inspection tower fitted to upper deck. Scrapped prior to 1939.

No. 25: P.W. Dept., Sand and Sett car. Ex-Paisley 40. Built Brush, 1904, Brush AA truck.

Nos. 26-32: P.W. Dept., Tool cars. Ex-Paisley, rebuilt GCT. Brill trucks.

Nos. 33-38: P.W. Dept., Sand and Sett cars. Built GCT, 1935. Brill trucks, Vestibuled. No. 38 had altered cab and was used as Sand Car.

No. 39: P.W. Dept., Sand and Sett car. Ex-Paisley 39. Built Brush, 1904. Brush AA truck. Received Brill truck from GCT and latterly altered cab and was used with No. 38 as Sand car.

No. 40: P.W. Dept., Tool car. 'Standard' car 722, rebuilt GCT, 1954. Brill truck 8'.

No. 50: Decorated car. 'Hex' dash type, built GCT, 1931. Brill roller­bearing 8' wb. truck but without air brakes. MV, 2x40 h.p. motors. Destroyed by fire, Newlands, 1949.

No. 51: P.W. Dept., Sand and Sett car. Ex-Paisley 51. Built HN, 1907. HN solid forged frame truck. Received Brush truck from GCT.

No. 101: P.W. Dept., Water car. Ex-Paisley 50. Built Brush, 1905. Brush standard truck.

Also miscellaneous trailers:—salt wagons, rail grinders, rail carriers, etc.

TYPE 15. EX-PAISLEY CARS.

(Paisley District Tramways: Opened 13.6.1904; taken over 1.8.1923).

1-38: builder: British Electric Car Co., 1904.

BODY: Double-deck, open top, unvestibuled.

TRUCK: Brush AA, 6' 6" wb.

MOTORS: GEC 58, 2x25 h.p.

EQUIPMENT: GEC B18 controllers, hand and magnetic brakes.

41-49: builder: Brush, 1905.

BODY: Double deck, open top, unvestibuled.

TRUCK: Brush standard, 6' 6" wb.

MOTORS: BTH, 2x25 h.p.

EQUIPMENT: BTH B18 controllers, hand and magnetic brakes.

GCT Renumbered as 1001-1038, 1041-1049. 1001-1007 converted to 'work' cars, Nos. 26-32.1008 converted to a decorated car. 1009-1019, 1022-1024, 1027, 1037-1038 cut down to single-deck fitted 'hex' dashes, vestibules sliding bulkhead doors, air brakes (first in Glasgow) and later extra-long bow collectors for use on Clydebank-Duntocher service. 1017 was used as Motor School Car and paintshop shunter, Coplawhill. For this, bulkheads were removed and transverse seats and folding platform doors fitted and had short bow on small tower. 1010, 1019, 1027, 1037, 1038. Scrapped about 1939.

1017 is retained for Museum purposes.

39, 40, 50, 51: 'Work' cars. Became GCT 'work' cars Nos. 39, 25,101, 51 respectively.

52: BUILDER: HN, 1908.

BODY: Double-deck, open top, unvestibuled. HN top cover fitted by PDT, 1910.

TRUCK: HN solid forged frame, 6' 6" wb.

MOTORS: BTH.

GCT: Renumbered 1052. Scrapped 1933.

53-58: BUILDER: HN 1910-1911. body: Top covered open Vestibuled.

TRUCK: HN Swing Bolster. Sold to Dundee 1915 becoming their 69-74. Scrapped 1928.

53-62: BUILDER: Brush, 59-62: 1912. 53-58: 1915. body: Double deck, open top, unvestibuled. truck: Brush-Brill, 6' 6" wb.

63-72: BUILDER: HN. 63-67: 1916. 68-72: 1919.

BODY: Double deck, open top, unvestibuled.

TRUCK: HN-Brill, 6' 6" wb.

GCT: Renumbered 1053-1072. All received 'Standard' Glasgow top covers, vestibules and Brill 21E 7' wb. trucks, c. 1924. 1053-1057, 1060, 1063, 1065-1067, 1072 had top covers reduced in height by 6" to negotiate Kilbarchan route (low bridge at Elderslie). All were modernised 1928-1930, the 8' trucks proving unsuitable for the Kilbarchan route.

1068 is retained for Museum purposes.

TYPE 16. EX-AIRDRIE AND COATBRIDGE CARS.

(Airdrie and Coatbridge Tramways: Opened 8.2.1904 as a member of the British Electric Traction group; taken over 19.12.1921, stock incorporated 30.12.1923).

1-12: BUILDER: Brush, 1902. body: Double deck, open top, unvestibuled. truck: Brush 6' wb.

GCT: 1073-1084, all scrapped. 1073 was used as a decorated car 1076 became a 'work' car, No. 24.

13-15: builder: Brush, 1905.

BODY: Double deck, top covered, unvestibuled.

TRUCK: Brush 6' wb.

GCT: 1085-1087, all scrapped.