THE TRAMWAY AND RAILWAY WORLD. March 10, 1910
Newlandfield: A New Depot.
We propose to note here some new developments in connection with the Glasgow tramway system, as well as some results of recent experience. The most important new work now in progress is the construction of a new depot at Newlandsfield, Pollokshaws. We are indebted to Mr. James Dalrymple, the general manager of Glasgow Corporation Tramways for the following description of the Newlandsfield depot.
The Corporation of Glasgow have almost continuously been adding to their stock of cars, which are all built in the tramway department workshops. This increase has, from time to time, necessitated extensions to the older car sheds where this was possible. The total number of cars in stock at May 31 (1910) last was 776. The total in stock at present is 801, and the department have still 50 new cars to build. This will bring their stock a year hence up to 851.
In 1896 the Corporation took over the operation of the tramways in Govan, which were being run under lease by the Glasgow Tramways Company. As part of the arrangement, the Corporation took over an old horse-car shed and stable in the burgh of Pollokshaws. This car shed was made suitable for electric cars in 1901, but the capacity was small, and it was not possible to extend the depot. New ground was therefore purchased close at hand, and a new depot, which is situated about 2 and 3/4 miles from the centre of the city, is being erected. The area covered by the depot is 12,000 square yards, and accommodation is being provided for 180 cars. Inspection pits are being made for dealing with the whole of the cars, and, as is the case in all other depots of the Corporation, platforms running the whole length of the car pits are suspended from the roof principals at a height of 9 ft. above the level of the rails. These platforms are for washing and cleaning the cars with top roofs. In a few months the Corporation will be running about 500 cars with top roofs, so that it has been necessary to provide these platforms in every depot.
The men in Glasgow make great use of their halls at the various depots, and at Newlandsfield a recreation and concert hall has been built which will seat about 400 persons. The necessary stage and retiring rooms, etc., are all being fitted out in the most up-to-date fashion.
An efficient heating system is also being provided for the halls and offices, the water being heated in calori-fiers by steam from a boiler and conveyed in pipes from the calorihers to the radiators. The steam heating system supplies hot water for washing the cars, the hot water pipes being carried round the whole building. Taps are fitted at all the most convenient points for drawing off water. As the hot water is in constant circulation, no cold water accumulates except in the short lengths of down pipe between the main and the taps.
A glance at the plan will show that the men are provided with a kitchen, where there is a hot plate heated by fire or steam. Next the kitchen is a small recreation room, also bathroom and lavatory accommodation. The cleaners' store is fitted up in the most improved method, as is also the general store for car parts, and the fitters' shop.
The special track work is being supplied by Hadfield's Steel Foundry Company. The rails for the depot have been supplied by K. White and Company, of Widnes.
The whole cost of the depot, including the ground, will amount to about £35,000.