Horse Banner  



By John Walker

Glasgow Corporation Transport operated one of the biggest bus fleets in the United Kingdom, but the fact that the Corporation operated buses at all now appears to have disappeared into the mists of time. The history of the buses has been documented in various publications, mainly very briefly in booklet format, and now sadly all out of print. The buses were never afforded much enthusiasm by the Glasgow public, running as they did in the shadow of the much revered tram system. The fact that the trams ran until 1962, and Greater Glasgow Passenger Transport Executive took over the buses in 1973, probably served only to banish the buses into the deepest archives of Glasgow history. Yet the buses were there and had their devotees, of which I am one. I am not, and do not profess to be, an aficionado of Glasgow Corporation buses, but their memory has inspired me to write this account.

Most publications, such as were available, merely gave a list of buses operated, together with a potted history of bus operation. The attitude adopted by writers of Glasgow bus publications appeared to be that somebody had to do it, and it may as well be brief because the Glasgow public wasn’t really interested. The resultant lack of exposure meant that the former, and fascinating, Glasgow Corporation fleet is little known outside its home city. Enthusiasts interested in more comprehensive studies were obliged, like myself, to purchase publications relating to other large municipal operators. To be fair, in the 60s there weren’t all that many bus enthusiast publications around at all. A fairly comprehensive book was in fact written by Stuart Little, in the Best of British Buses series, but that book also includes a fair section devoted to Glasgow buses after the Corporation days.

Surely someone other than myself had fascination enough with the half-cab AECs, Daimlers, and Leylands, to have at least considered putting pen to paper?. I possess neither the literary skills nor the time to set the records straight, so here is the second of my amateur efforts, which will hopefully generate a spark of interest in anyone who remembers these buses. A handful of the vehicles have been preserved, but few of us have the opportunity or the wherewithal to participate in such ventures.

The anecdotal information that follows is essentially a schoolboy’s reminiscences of Glasgow Corporation Daimler buses on service 48. The timescale would have been from the late 50s, until the account of our service 48 bus driver which would typically have been around 1968 when Ian Semple, the webmaster of this site, together with his wife Alice, worked as “green staff” as bus crews were known, out of Newlands Garage. Some of the sharp practices carried out by crews were later confirmed during my own brief experience of being a Glasgow Corporation busman at Parkhead garage in 1973.

Although we lived outside the city in an area not served by Corporation buses, my mother’s parents lived in Nitshill, a couple of miles south west of Pollok in what had been the former county of Renfrew. Pollok was a large housing estate (or housing scheme as they are known in Scotland), built on part of a large country estate of the same name. To the south of Pollok were the smaller, but nevertheless fairly substantial housing schemes of Househillwood, Priesthill, Nitshill, and South Nitshill. The latter schemes were connected to the city centre by services 48 and 48A, and to Govan by services 26 and 49, mainly operated during the period concerned by Leyland PD2s from Ibrox Garage. The schemes were built over a period from the 1920s up until about 1963, during which a fairly large chunk of the former county of Renfrewshire was swallowed up by the City of Glasgow. The area was also served by Western SMT buses, which also ran into Glasgow from the depths of Renfrewshire through Nitshill, but via a totally different route, which kept them on the Renfrewshire county boundary for much of the way. South Nitshill was also served by buses of the Independent operator, Smith of Barrhead, which by a strange if not unique arrangement, ran the buses on behalf of the Scottish Cooperative Wholesale Society! These buses connected the area to the nearby town of Paisley in Renfrewshire.

It should be said that no joint services were operated by the Corporation with any other operator, and in those parts of the city where Scottish Bus Group services ran alongside Corporation buses, the Corporation services were protected by virtue of the fact that Scottish Bus Group vehicles were not allowed to uplift passengers on inward journeys or set down on outward journeys within an approximate two mile radius of the city centre. The Scottish Bus Group fares were also more expensive, although whether this was by design, or by agreement with the Corporation is unclear in my memory. There was a time when the Corporation operated bus services to destinations outwith the city boundary, but the operation of the majority of those was handed over to the various members of the Scottish Bus Group who operated in the areas concerned. As far as Newlands was concerned service 45 continued to operate to Bishopbriggs in Lanarkshire for some time, but was later curtailed at Colston following an apparent dispute over operation rights. However, service 38 continued to operate to Millerston in Lanarkshire, and service 38A to Clarkston in Renfrewshire until the end. Similarly, service 57 may have operated through a small tract of Renfrewshire to get to its Arden terminus, but the boundary was a bit confusing in that area, so I cannot be certain of that fact.

How does anybody become a bus enthusiast?

In the earliest days of my memories Glasgow Corporation Transport ran buses from Larkfield Garage on service 48, before the South Nitshill housing scheme was completed, and the terminus was in Cleeves Road, Nitshill. The roofs of buses turning at the Cleeves Road terminus could be seen from my grandmother’s front window, and it was possible to avoid a wait by watching a bus leaving the terminus before dashing down the stairs to the nearby bus shelter. However, as service 49 buses also used the terminus, it was necessary to watch a 48 bus arriving, and keep an eye on the roof to ensure that it was the same bus that was leaving. Failure to do so could mean arriving at the shelter only to see a service 49 continuing along Nitshill Road towards Govan. It was things like that, together with buses painted in a striking livery and running on high frequencies, which probably kicked off my interest in Glasgow Corporation buses.

How tramway route closures affected service 48 (or Enter the Daimler bus)

Daimler buses never featured much in the Glasgow fleet at all until after the Second World War, and the majority of vehicles were of AEC, Albion, and Leyland manufacture. Nitshill had never been afforded the luxury of tram or trolleybus travel, and the Larkfield and Ibrox motorbuses had been there from the start. However, following the conversion of Newlands tram depot to a bus garage in 1959, things changed somewhat.

Newlands garage became the main provider of bus services from the city centre to the Pollok district, and the garage allocation in the period concerned was almost entirely comprised of rear entrance Daimler buses. The first buses of which I have any real recollection were D68-116. These were 7’6” wide Daimler CVG6s with Weymann bodywork which strongly resembled the style of ‘New look’ bodywork specified by Birmingham City Transport. They were handsome vehicles indeed and, although similar bodywork was also carried on Corporation AEC and Leyland buses garaged elsewhere, I felt the Daimlers tended to carry the new look tin fronts to best effect.

My first sighting of D95 in Peat Road, unpainted save for the orange bonnet cover and concealed radiator tin front, came as a bit of a surprise. I was too young at the time to be a reader of transport magazines and thereby be better informed, and I genuinely though that somebody had forgotten to paint the bus! The bus eventually appeared in standard livery so perhaps someone heard me shouting that they had forgotten to paint it? These older Daimlers were gradually cascaded away from Newlands as the 8 feet wide Alexander bodied CVG6s appeared, and they were withdrawn en masse all on the same day in 1968, a sad day indeed. Daimlers tended always to be garaged south of the Clyde, apart from a number of 8-foot wide examples eventually operated by Maryhill, and a handful by Parkhead in the very last years of the Corporation. This leads me to believe that my beloved Daimlers were transferred from Newlands to Larkfield and Langside garages before withdrawal, although I cannot say that with any certainty.

Although a smattering of the 8 foot wide pre-selector batch Daimlers (D117 – 216) were operated out of Newlands, in 1959 the entire batch of D218 -262 was allocated to coincide with the end of tramway operation from those premises, and these buses then became prominent on service 48/48A. They were truly wonderful vehicles, with a touch of mechanical refinement not found on any other type of Glasgow bus. The sounds made by the semi automatic Daimatic gearbox coupled to a Gardner engine were music to my ears, and I thought they were the best buses Glasgow ever had. Then, one sunny Saturday afternoon whilst I was sitting out on the veranda in Peat Road eating an ice cream cone, I heard and saw a bus which appeared to be flying towards South Nitshill. The engine note was different, although the gearbox sounds appeared the same. I noted the bus number as D266 for future reference, and my ice cream cone melted as my interest was diverted to the bus. When I was old enough to understand bus technical data, I found that D263 – 267, also delivered to Newlands garage, had Daimler engines and BSA turbochargers fitted, but only D263, 264, and 266 had actually entered service with them still fitted. I have no idea why the turbochargers were removed from the other two buses, and remain disappointed to this day that I am none the wiser.

I could eventually distinguish the three different combinations of Gardner, Daimler, and Daimler with BSA turbocharger of the outwardly identical D220 – 267 buses by ear, well before their fleet numbers could be ascertained, and that became my party piece. Apparently, in the interests of standardisation, all five of the D263-267 batch were later converted to Gardner engines, and presumably had their turbochargers removed. However, at least one source of information shows no record of D265 ever being converted. Some of these buses were sold on to Aberdeen, a rare event indeed for Glasgow buses, which were usually retained until they were only fit for scrap. That in itself bears testament to my thoughts that these were the best ever rear entrance buses operated by Glasgow.

That unfortunately brings us to the end of the Glasgow Daimler era (apart from the “one-off” 30 foot long D217, now preserved, and D268, the solitary Daimler Fleetline operated by Glasgow). Sadly I have no memories at all of either of these buses in service, and do not believe they were ever allocated to Newlands in any case.

All Change in the City Centre for the Newlands Daimlers (and an insight as to how a driver on service 48 may have annoyed his passengers)

Due to the implementation of various one way streets in the city centre, the city terminal was moved from Broomielaw to Midland Street in November 1963, and the Newlands operated services were as follows: -

21 Midland Street to Pollok (journey time 27 mins. with a 7 ½ minute service interval on Saturdays) Saturday allocation required 8 buses

39 Midland Street to Pollok (journey time 28 mins, with the same service interval as the 21) Saturday allocation again required 8 buses

48 Midland Street to South Nitshill (journey time 29 minutes with buses every 6 minutes in the peaks) Saturday allocation for the 48/48A required about 20 buses, including 3 or 4 from Larkfield, which ran on that service on Saturdays only. Larkfield buses were usually well turned out Leyland PD2s with black mudguards and old-fashioned wooden time boards. Some of them even carried the plastic insert running numbers carried over from the tramway era. Larkfield was renowned for its standard of turnout consistent with it being the principal garage of the Southern Division.

48A Midland Street to Priesthill (journey time 27 minutes with service intervals as per the 48. Services 48 and 48A were interworked until 1969 when the 48A was converted to OMO operation, except by Larkfield buses helping out on Saturdays whose running boards kept them on the 48. However, it appears that by 1968 the Larkfield buses operated on the 48A, but not the 48, so if anyone has further info on this little quirk then I’d be delighted to find out more. The interworking was irregular, and conductors would often have to enquire of their drivers as to whether the bus was to continue from Midland Street as a 48 or 48A.

According to the timetables there were no scheduled short or unusual workings on any of the above routes, other than garage journeys, although the odd 48 could be seen showing the destination “Househillwood” on journeys from the city. I also seem to remember service 48 buses being turned short showing “Peat Road”, “Shawlands Cross” or “Eglinton Street”, but such memories are vague. A short turn at Househillwood would not have afforded much grace to late running 48As, although it may have been used to assist 48 buses to try and get back on time by avoiding the full trip to South Nitshill. However, Glasgow did put a few untimetabled “extras” on its busier services, so the exact position is unclear. Ian and Alice Semple have racked their brains in a vain effort to recall any such journeys, although they can recall an extra duty on service 59 to Glasgow University, possibly associated with a duty on the 48. Such incursions onto services not normally operated by a particular garage were rare, but nevertheless I remain fascinated by such trivia.

Newlands buses also performed duty on the cross city services 38/38A and 45/45A, and the suburban service 40, as well as on service 57 between Arden and Radnor Street, but those services do not fall directly into the theme of this recollection of service 48.

We are left then with buses running on the 21,39,48, and 48A, which operated over a common section of route for much of their journey. The buses ran via Jamaica Street, Glasgow Bridge, Eglinton Street, Pollokshaws Road, and Barrhead Road to Peat Road roundabout. There the service 21 and 39 buses went their separate ways into Pollok housing estate, with the 48 and 48A sharing a section of Peat Road before the 48A traversed Priesthill Road to Priesthill terminus. The 48 ran the entire length of Peat Road, then ran via Nitshill Road into the South Nitshill housing scheme. To persons disposed of an element of inside knowledge, or even to passengers who travelled regularly on any of the above listed services, an unfortunate pattern would soon emerge which would often be the source of irate criticism of Glasgow Corporation buses in the area.

Passengers using the above group of services would often become the unwilling victims of the one-upmanship of the bus crews operating them. Please note that as a bus enthusiast I am not trying to detract from the vehicles themselves, or my fascination for them, but my particular interest in how the buses were operated on the road led me to quickly appreciate that the majority of bus crews were definitely not interested in the buses, or indeed in the people who travelled on them. This then, is intended as a factual insight into bus travel and operation in the area at the time. I would point out that there were many Corporation busmen, and women, who took a pride in their jobs, and worked hard in order to try and provide the public with the bus service to which they should have been entitled. Perhaps after reading this account the reader will also realise why the Glasgow public were not very fond of their buses!

In the latter part of 1963 notices were posted on Corporation buses intimating that the well known city centre terminal of Broomielaw was to be relocated to Midland Street, which was a little known thoroughfare some two or three hundred yards north of Broomielaw. The relocation was deemed necessary due to the introduction of various one-way traffic systems in the city centre. The entire length of Midland Street was almost covered by a railway bridge, which carried tracks on the southern approach to the Central Station, and it was fairly dark and dank. The interior walls were clad with white tiling, presumably in an effort to brighten the place up, but somehow it never quite worked. It was necessary for the street lighting to be illuminated throughout the day so that pedestrians could use the street as a thoroughfare, and as Glaswegians became familiar with the new bus terminal, many became justifiably concerned that it would not be a place to loiter for too long on Friday and Saturday nights. Still, whether they liked it or not, Midland Street was the new terminal, and following the move, passengers could often be heard asking bus crews as to where exactly the terminus was.

As I was a regular traveller on service 48 buses, let us have a look at what the intending passenger for a service 48 bus may have experienced when turning off busy Jamaica Street into the Midland Street stance on a Saturday afternoon. As far as I know, the order of stances used in the Broomielaw were retained, and in pole position yet again was the 48/48A stance. With a bus every 3 minutes or so at the busiest times there would often be two or three buses on the stand and it was annoying if you boarded the busy bus in front, only to watch the bus behind pull away almost empty.

I seem to recall that the 39 stand was behind the 48, with the 21 behind that again, although I cannot be absolutely certain. We must not forget the stands for services 23 and 50, which were also at the back of Midland Street, but again I cannot remember which order they were in. The Glasgow destination screens in use at the time were amongst the least informative in the country, and intending passengers would be confronted by service 21, 39, and 50 buses, all simply displaying the destination “Pollok”. Please note the rather non-English spelling of the destination, which was not as a result of the screen printer’s error, but reflected the precise name of the housing scheme served by the buses.

I’d better briefly describe service 23 and 50 buses so that the reader can get the bigger picture. Service 23 connected Midland Street with Govan Cross via a fairly improbable route, which involved buses sharing the road with Newlands buses as far as Peat Road roundabout in Pollok. The service interval was every 12 minutes on a Saturday so that it was not a high frequency service (nor indeed highly patronised on account of its rather roundabout route). I could not think of any reason why someone would wish to leave the city centre to travel to Govan Cross via Pollok, and I would imagine that the service principally catered for passengers travelling between the city centre and the western side of Pollok, before serving as a similar connection for such residents with Govan. Nevertheless, departure behind a 23 would lighten the load of the Newlands crews as far as Peat Road roundabout, and the buses travelled along the Barrhead Road along with the Newlands Daimlers. The 23 was operated jointly by Larkfield and Ibrox garages, and the buses were Leyland PD2s.

Service 50 ran from Midland Street to Pollok through Govan, and was generally operated by Leyland PD2s from Govan garage. In earlier days the buses would have been AEC Regents, with MCW bodywork broadly similar to the Birmingham Standard buses, and the delightful sounds of those buses were a contrast to the purring Daimlers. The 50, with a frequency of 5 minutes on a Saturday, shared very little of the route with Newlands buses, and can be discounted from the Barrhead Road race meetings later described on account of the fact it never traversed that road (although its Pollok terminus overlooked it).

“How’s this bus no movin’ yit, pal?”

The above exclamation would often be made to conductors by passengers who, having boarded their 48 bus in Midland Street, were naturally anxious to proceed as quickly as possible. To the knowledgeable the answer was obvious. Layover time at Midland Street was minimal, and our driver was most likely playing a cat and mouse game with other buses on the stand. The 48, being first in the queue, was likely to be tailed by any of the other buses on the stance behind it in Midland Street. The driver would wait, often past departure time, in the hope that something would leave before him, with the opportunity to make up time on the Barrhead Road.

We’ll assume that all of the other drivers are of a like mind and force the 48 driver’s hand. Our driver, finally content that he has lost the Midland Street stance game, now studies the progression of southbound traffic in Jamaica Street. He’ll wait until at least one bus passes the junction and then set off, turning right into Jamaica Street behind it. If he has been lucky he’ll have tucked in behind a Service 45 to Rouken Glen, a 45A to Carnwadric, or a 57 to Arden. This will afford him the opportunity to run behind that bus until the Round Toll, at the junction with Barrhead Road. He can then “hammer it” along Barrhead Road to make up lost time.

If he is less lucky he may have only managed to tail a 38 or 38A as far as Shawlands Cross, and if his luck was really out the bus in front may have been a service 43, 43A, or 44, in which case his bad fortune will only dawn on him when the bus makes a left turn into Turriff Street, after only a mile or so. From about 1956 onwards Glasgow buses were completely devoid of any destination numbers or screens on the rear of the buses, although drivers would be able to tell if the bus in front was one of “theirs” by the fleet and/or registration number.

The Barrhead Road “Speedway”

This term was to my knowledge never used by Glasgow bus crews, and is of my own creation. Barrhead Road begins at the southern end of Pollokshaws Road, and continues generally westwards through to the west side of Pollok. However the “Speedway” section only covers the rural part between the Round Toll and Peat Road roundabout. On this section our 48 driver, unless running early, will almost certainly open the throttle regardless of whatever happens to be in front of him or behind him in an effort to obtain as much layover time at South Nitshill as he can. This part of the road was two-lane dual carriageway and ran past golf courses and grazing sheep for a distance of just under two miles. It was on this stretch that the Glasgow Daimler buses really showed their mettle. If sitting in a CVD6 bus going flat out that was equipped with a BSA turbocharger (D263, 264, or 266) one could rest assured that no other bus was going to overtake yours on that section.

I remember one unfortunate occasion about 1960 when the driver of one of the D68-116 batch, a 7’6” wide pre selector bus, overtook our 48 at considerable speed when on service 39. The driver appeared to lose control of the bus on the approach to the junction with Cowglen Road, and the bus overturned onto its offside at the junction. I never actually witnessed the accident, but seem to remember that the bus was lightly loaded, consistent with having tailed our bus from the (then Broomielaw) city centre terminus. I have no idea whether there were any fatalities, but I remember thinking as a boy of tender years what a bad man the driver was for making rude gestures to our driver and then damaging a perfectly good Corporation bus that I might never see again. There is no apparent record of any such bus being scrapped so it can be assumed that my fears (at least concerning the bus) were unjustified.

“Who’s the driver the day son, Stirlin’ Moss?”

Another oft heard exclamation by passengers to conductors which confirmed that section of Barrhead Road was definitely a bit of a free for all as drivers tried to get back on time following any timekeeping misdemeanours they had committed nearer the city centre.

The lot of bus crews on the 48/48A

Glasgow Corporation schedules tended to be fairly tight, and to those who have knowledge of the general area, a comparison of running times to outer termini from Peat Road roundabout gives clear indication that crews working on the 48 service in particular had a very difficult task indeed.

Service 21 had 4 minutes running time from Peat Road to the Pollok terminus of Lochar Crescent, which appeared adequate. Similarly, service 39 buses had 5 minutes to reach Towerside Crescent, which again did not represent any real difficulty.

Service 48A buses had 5 minutes to get to Priesthill, but the service 48 buses had only 7 minutes to traverse the entire length of Peat Road, turn into Nitshill Road, and scramble up to the terminus at South Nitshill. With only 2 minutes layover time at South Nitshill in the peaks, even today it seems a tall order. It is no wonder that service 48 buses always seemed to fly along Barrhead Road.

“ Aw c’mon , Ah could walk quicker than this bus!”

This comment would typically be heard coming from angry passengers on inward journeys to the city. Imagine we have re-boarded the bus at the 48 terminus at South Nitshill, and our 48 driver has begun the journey back into the city. As well as his running board, he will probably have studied a copy of the “City of Glasgow Corporation Transport Official Timetable” that he bought for a tanner (6 old pence). From the scant information contained therein he will nevertheless have attempted to time his departure from South Nitshill so that he picks up a service 48A running in front of him. During the peak hours this would have been quite a game of chance, but if all of the buses are on the road and in position (sadly seldom the case throughout the period covered by this wee article) there should be a 48A running 3 minutes in front of him. Our driver therefore leaves South Nitshill, say 2 minutes early, and tries to steal another minute before he reaches the junction of Peat Road and Priesthill Road. If he times it dead right, then a 48A will pull out in front of him out of Priesthill Road and clear all of the stops until Peat Road roundabout.

However, such a tactic means that he will be approaching Peat Road roundabout about 3 minutes early. There used to be Bundy clock on the north side of Barrhead Road just east of the roundabout, and there may well have been one on the opposite side, although I cannot remember with any certainty. There was also a notorious Pollok street gang named the “Bundy”, but that need not concern us here. Much has been written about Bundy clocks elsewhere, but for the uninitiated they were a means to attempt to ensure that buses left their outer termini on time. The conductor would insert his waybill, thereby activating the clock which stamped the recorded time on the waybill. The machines were unfortunately prone to misuse by elements of the bus crews, and probably even worse from the vandal culture that evolved in the 60s.

In any case our little account of a journey on the 48 is concentrating on the period after the Bundy clock(s) were removed, so it was left to an Inspector to man a booth at the roundabout, and any early running was bound to be noticed. Therefore our 48 driver has to pull the bus up between stops and wait for his time (known by Glasgow bus crews as “hingin it up”). After a period of two minutes on a bus going nowhere, our bus passengers are getting a bit fed up, but our driver starts the bus off on a crawl to the roundabout. He passes the roundabout possibly a minute early (just about excusable) then floors the accelerator on entering Barrhead Road to achieve two purposes. Firstly, he is trying to put distance between his bus and any service 21, 23, or 39 buses that have been waiting for him to pass the roundabout in front of them, and secondly he is trying once again to catch up with the 48A in front, whose driver will similarly be hammering along Barrhead Road in an attempt to avoid being caught. Having caught the heavier loaded 48A in front in Pollokshaws Road, or indeed any other bus in Pollokshaws Road, he will tail that bus relentlessly until he realises he is once again running early on the approach to the timekeeper at Shawlands Cross.

The same waiting process begins again, at Shawlands Academy, just out of sight of the timekeeper, and passengers who have been subject of a 35mph dash along Barrhead Road now have to sit and suffer the consequences of the driver’s actions. However, I remember one distinct occasion when our 48 driver was booked for running early outside Shawlands Academy by a mobile “Gestapo” Inspector.

In a lifetime of reading everything and anything about buses I am content that the main source of interest is in the buses themselves, and that most enthusiasts have no real interest in the crews and their attempts to outwit one another. The thing was that a lot of the stunts were carried out by crews who were friendly with each other, and it was often simply a matter of them showing off to each other. I would stress that this was not a practice unique to Glasgow.

One other tactic adopted by drivers who became aware that their bus was being tailed involved the entire length of Barrhead Road being taken at a crawl, much to the annoyance of the passengers on board. This was done in an effort to force the bus, or buses, behind to overtake, but seldom had the desired effect. The very existence of the rural Barrhead Road gave licence and opportunity to Newlands drivers to employ various permutations of late and early running in the name of being cleverer than their colleagues.

Stunts like those described did nothing to endear the Glasgow public to their buses, and reinforced their affection for the trams (and trolleybuses) which were obliged to keep some sort of order at road junctions, by drivers giving indication to each other what their scheduled time of arrival was at the next timing point. Interestingly, this was achieved by the driver raising the fingers of one hand to indicate his time due to the driver of the other vehicle, and it is probable that several “two minute” signals were misconstrued. The tram or trolleybus due first would be obliged to proceed first, or in the case of the times being identical the vehicle operating the shortest journey was to proceed. The flexibility of the motorbus unfortunately led to similar flexibility of the operating regulations by an element of the bus crews, to the detriment of their service to the public.



Daimler CVG6 (pre-selector gearboxes)

D178, 179, 184, 190, 192, 197, 199, 213

Daimler CVG6 (Daimatic semi-automatic gearboxes)

D218 – 262, which comprised the entire batch of these buses, all of which sported “Manchester” type grilles.

Daimler CVD6 (Daimatic semi-automatic gearboxes)

D263-267 These were outwardly identical to the D218 – 262 batch above.

All five buses had what are described as BSA turbochargers fitted, but only three actually entered service with them fitted. (D263, 264, and 266). Without a doubt, these were my favourite Glasgow buses. They were outwardly identical to D218 - 262, but definitely sang a sweeter song on account of their Daimler engines. All but D265? were subsequently converted to Gardner engines.


Apologies to Alice Semple for my continued reference to the word “conductor”. A considerable number of the female gender were employed as conductresses, but I’m advised that this word is now not politically correct.

Copyright © 2005 John Walker

John Walker Who would love to hear from other GCT platform staff