These pages contain Information on Glasgow Tramway & Omnibus Company Ltd. 1871 - 1894 and Glasgow Corporation Transport 1894 - 1973
Construction of the Tramways began on the 22nd September 1871 The horse trams started operating in Glasgow on 19th August, 1872. The Tramways were laid by Glasgow Corporation, but were leased to the Glasgow Tramway and Omnibus Company. The first Managing Director of the Tramway Company was Mr. Andrew Menzies.
The line first opened was from St. George's Road to Eglinton Toll. The length of that line was 2¼ miles. The fare was 2d. By the end of 1872, the following lines were opened :—
St. George's Cross to Argyle Street.
Argyle Street to Eglinton Toll.
Sauchiehall Street West to Kelvingrove Street.
Candleriggs to Bridgeton Cross.
Excerpt from the "Glasgow Herald," Tuesday, 20th August, 1872:—
INAUGURATION OF THE TRAMWAYS SYSTEM IN GLASGOW.
" Yesterday forenoon the system of tramway travelling was inaugurated in Glasgow. A Bill authorising the Corporation to construct Tramways through various districts of the City having been passed by Parliament, and contracts obtained for the execution of the work, ground was formally broken in Great Western Road by Bailie Watson, in presence of a number of gentlemen, on the 22nd of September last year. The work of construction thus formally commenced has been carried on continuously ever since, until the greater portion of one of the, main routes has been completed. The part still unfinished is that from St. George's Cross to the Botanic Gardens, the delay being the formation of the line across the bridge over the Kelvin. At first it was only contemplated to place a single line of rails over the bridge, but the Tramways Company, considering it desirable to have a double line of rails throughout the entire route, entered into negotiations with the Road Trustees, who, we believe, have now given their consent to the double line, so that the last portion of the contract for this main route will be gone into and completed with all speed. That portion of the tramway from St. George's Cross to Eglinton Toll being completed, the Directors decided on opening it at once, and for that purpose had the lines inspected by Colonel Hutchison for the Board of Trade, who reported as to their substantiality, and authorised their being opened for public traffic." Continued Here
1872 Mr. Barber Glenn was Secretary of the Company.
1873 Mr. John Duncan was appointed Secretary.
1874 Commander F. C. De Lousada was made Managing Director.
1880 Mr. John Duncan was appointed Manager.
1891 Glasgow Corporation voted on the question of municipalisation. Total number of members at that time was 77. Voted in favour, 49 Voted against, 7 Declined to vote.
1892 Mr. John Young, who was then Superintendent of Cleansing, was appointed General Manager, to organise the new Tramways Department.
On 30th June, 1894, the Glasgow Tramway and Omnibus Company's lease of the lines expired.
On 1st July, 1894, at 4:53 am the first Glasgow Corporation horse car began to operate the Tramways.
In 1894 there were 32 miles of tramway route.
The outlying termini in 1894 were at:—
Maryhill, Hyndland Road (Great Western Road), Springfield Road, Paisley Road Toll, Pollokshaws, Mount Florida, Oatlands (Braehead Street), Springburn.
The whole system was electrified by mid 1901