Horse Banner  
Banner

 

Depots, Garages and Works

(The dates quoted are generally the first day or last day of operation in public service)


BARRHEAD    Aurs Road       
Tram  depot acquired from Paisley District Tramways Company, 1/8/1923 Closed  3/10/1936.
Incorporating a Sub-station.

BRIDGETOWN   Fordneuk Street
Bus garage opened  6/6/1965. Built on new site to replace Dalmarnock tram depot. Nominal  capacity  100  buses. Transferred to Greater Glasgow P.T.E.

CENTRAL  West Graham Street
Corporation motor car garage operated by transport department, Used briefly by buses c.1927.

COATBRIDGE    Main Street
Tram depot acquired from Airdrie and Coatbridge Tramways Company, (Main  Street)     12/19/21. Capacity 21   tramcars. 
Tram Services Worked: 1, 15, 23 and Airdrie Local
Cars Types: 4, 5, 6 and 9
Closed  3/11/1956 Cars to Dennistoun and Parkhead. Building Sold

COPLAWHILL  Albert Drive   
Tramcar works, used also for buses from June 1955. Used also as a depot for a time from 1/7/1894. Closed following  end of tramway operation, 1962.  Part became Museum of Transport, remainder passing to other Corporation departments.

COPLAWHILL  Barrland Street
Tramway permanent way yard. Closed  1962.

DALHOUSIE    Dalhousie Street
Tram  depot  opened  1/7/1894.    Closed 1901?

DALMARNOCK   Ruby Street
Tram depot opened 1/7/1894. Capacity 119 tramcars.
Tram Services Worked: 1, 9, 10, 10A, 15, 17, 18, 18A, 26, 26A, 29, 34, 35 and 36
Cars Types: 4, 5, 6 and 8: Type 9 from Elderslie in May 1957. 12 from Govan June-November 1958, and Maryhill and Partick; 9 from Dennistoun in November 1960
Closed  4/9/1962. Site cleared and redeveloped. Replaced  by  Bridgeton bus garage.

DENNISTOUN   Paton Street
Tram  depot  opened 1895/96. Capacity 134 tramcars. Used also as trolleybus depot from 15/6/1958. Capacity 18  trolleybuses.
Tram Services Worked: 1, 1A, 6, 7, 8/8A, 8/25, 15, 23, 30
Cars Types: 4, 5, 6 and 9
Closed 5/11/1960,  Cars to Dalmarnock and Maryhill, Trolleybuses (since 1958) to Govan. Building Sold.


ELDERSLIE  Main Road
Team depot acquired from Paisley District Tramways Company, 1/8/1923. Used also for buses from 1/5/1932 to  10/2/1955. Capacity 47 tramcars and 21 buses. 
Tram Services Worked: 14, 15, 15A, 21, 28, 32 and Paisley Local
Cars Types: 4, 5, 6 and9. Type 10 from Newlands in 1951.
Closed  11/5/1957. Building Sold. Types 4, 5, 6, 10 to Govan, Possilpark and Maryhill: Type 9 to Dalmarnock Building sold.

FINNIESTON  Finnieston Street
Bus garage opened 23/11/1930. Capacity 70 buses.  Closed 23/10/1932. Site  acquired  by G.P.O.

GARTCRAIG   Gartcraig Road
Bus garage opened 4/6/1961. Capacity 100  buses.  Transferred to Greater Glasgow P.T.E.

GOVAN  Brand Street
Tram depot opened 11/8/1915. Used also for trolleybuses from 15/6/1958 and for motor buses from 21/10/1962.    Tramcar operation ceased  15/11/1958. Trolleybus operation eased 1/10/1966.
Tram Services Worked: 4, 4A, 4B, 7, 12, 15, 15A, 21, 22, 27, 30, 31, 32 and 40.
Cars Types: 4, 5, 6 and 12 ; Type 10 from Elderslie May 1957, to Newlands May 1958; some type 12 to Dalmarnock June 1958 in exchange for Standards.
Closed to Trams 15 November 1958, used to store Trams for scrap till 28 February 1959. Cars to Dalmarnock (a few Standards to Partick).
Closed  8/11/1969. Capacities  128  tramcars, 45 trolleybuses, 55 motor buses.

HAMPDEN  Aikenhead Road
Trolleybus garage opened 17/12/1950. Capacity 150 trolleybuses. (Aikenhead Road) Open air parking. Closed 27/5/1967.
IBROX  Helen Street  
Bus garage opened 2/5/1943. Capacity 140 buses. Open air parking. Transferred  to  Greater  Glasgow  P.T.E.

KELVINHAUGH Kelvinhaugh  Street
Horse tram depot only opened  1/7/1894.    Closed  1901?

KINNING  PARK  Admiral  Street
Tram depot opened 1/7/1894. Closed 11/8/1915. Replaced  by  Govan.

KNIGHTSWOOD  Great Western Road
Bus garage opened 23/10/1932. Capacity 260 buses. Transferred to Greater Glasgow  P.T.E.

LANGSIDE   Battlefield Road
Tram depot opened  1901?  Capacity 130 tramcars. Capacity 86  buses. Transferred to Greater Glasgow P.T.E.
Tram Services Worked: 2, 5, 5A, 11, 12, 13, 19, 24 and 24A
Car Types: 4, 5, 6 and 9.
Closed to Trams 29 September 1956, car to Newlands, converted to Motorbus Garage 17 November 1957

LARKFIELD   Victoria Road
Bus garage opened 30/3/1929. Capacity 140 buses. Used also for (Victoria  Road) trolleybuses from 3/4/1949 to  16/12/1950. Transferred  to Greater  Glasgow  P.T.E.

LARKFIELD   Butterbiggins Road       
Motorbus works opened 16/6/1941. Transferred to Greater Glasgow P.T.E.

MARYHILL   Celtic Street 
Tram depot opened 1/7/1894. Capacity 93 tramcars.  Closed 21/10/1961.
Tram Services Worked 3, 3A, 11, 13, 14, 18, 18A 23, 29, 33 and 40
Car Types: 4, 5, 6, 9, 11 and 13; Type 11 to Partick July 1961.
Site cleared and new Motorbus garage built  opening 18/11/1962. Capacity 80 buses. Transferred to Greater Glasgow P.T.E.

NEWLANDS   Newlandsfield  Road   
Tram depot opened 1910. Capacity 200 tramcars.  Used also for buses from 23/12/1928 to 22/10/1932, and again from 15/3/1959.
Tram Services Worked 3, 3A, 5, 5A, 8/8A, 8/25, 14, 14A, 14B, 24, 31 and 40.
Note: all cars running into Newlands show 8 till 15 March 1959, then 31 till 6 December 1959 then 3.
Car Types 4, 5, 6, 9, 12; Type 10 to Elderslie 1951, back again May 1958.
Tramcar operation ceased 4 June 1960.
Converted to Motorbus Garage 21 October 1961 capacity 50 vehicles. Transferred to Greater  Glasgow P.T.E.

PARKHEAD  Tollcross  Road
Tram depot opened 15/10/1922. Used also for buses from 8/12/1924. Capacities 80 tramcars and 180  buses.   Tramcar operation ceased 12/3/1960.  Transferred to Greater Glasgow P.T.E.
Tram Services Worked 1A, 15, 15A, 23, 29 and 30
Car Types 4, 5, 6, 9 and 13
Closed to Trams 12 March 1960 Types 4, 5, 6 to Dalmarnock, Type 9 to Dennistoun.

PARTICK  Hayburn Street     
Tram depot opened 1/7/1894. Capacity 124 tramcars. Closed 2/6/1962. Site cleared and new Motorbus garage built and opened 4/10/1964. Capacity 80 buses. Transferred to Greater Glasgow P.T.E.
Tram Services Worked 1, 1A, 5, 5A, 9, 9A, 9B, 10, 16, 17, 20, 21, 24, 26, 26A, 30, 36 and 40
Car Types 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 (inc S/D Type 4); Type 12 to Newlands January 1959 - June 1960 and type 11 from Maryhill July 1961.
Closed to Trams 2 June 1962

POLLOKSHAWS  Pleasance Street      
Tram depot opened 18/9/1896. Closed 1910. Replaced by Newlands.

POSSILPARK
  Hawthorn Street
Tram depot opened 1901?  Capacity 133 tramcars.  Used also for buses from 16/3/1958. Tramcar operation ceased 6/6/1959. Motor bus capacity 130 vehicles. Transferred to Greater Glasgow P.T.E.
Tram Services Worked 2, 4, 4A, 4B, 8/8A, 8/25, 16, 19, 21, 22, 27, 31, 32 and 33
Car Types 4, 5, 6 only owing to severe radius of curves.
Closed to Trams 7 June 1959. Cars to Partick and Maryhill.


RENFREW  Paisley Road       
Tram depot acquired from Paisley District Tramways Company 1/8/1923. Closed 3/10/1936.

SPRINGBURN  Keppochhill Road   
Tram depot opened 1/7/1894. First depot for electric tramcars. Closed 1901?  Replaced by Possilpark,

WHITEVALE  Rowchester Street
Tram depot opened 1/7/1894. Closed 14/10/1922. Replaced by Parkhead.

POWER STATION Pinkston Power Station, Canalbank Street C4
Power generated for all Tramcars, Trolleybuses and Underground. On the 31 October 1958, the Station was handed over to the South of Scotland Electricity Board, but its prime object to generate power for Glasgow Corporation Transport Department remained.

SUB-STATIONS
Baillieston, Barrhead, Bearsden, Coplahill, Dalhousie, Dalmuir, Kinning Park, Paisley, Partick, Possilpark, Rutherglen, Scotstoun, Spiersbridge, Whitevale.

CLOTHING STORE AND SAND SHED Kinning Park, Admiral Street, S1

UNDERGROUND CAR SHEDS. Broomloan Road, SW1